With her "Maher Communities," Sister Lucy Kurien, member of the Catholic order Sisters of the Cross, has opened 90 rural and urban communities served in three Indian states with a mission to get to root causes of violence and despair experienced by women and children in India; support family reunification; provide safe and loving residential services for women and children when reunification is not possible; and assist women in their individual paths to self-reliance.
More than 2,000 people have benefited from Sister Lucy's work - over 300 women and 900 children currently in residence in 44 homes.
The "Magic of Maher" lays in its deep path:
- Love is the basis - not services
- Faith in the intrinsic goodness of people
- Reconciliation with even difficult relatives
- Embrace all people across all faiths, castes, class, and ethnicity
- Inter-religious, deeply spiritual
- Operational flexibility with small homes
- Values driven: never pay a bribe, truth and transparency in all interactions
The are also deeply respectful of Mother Earth - composting and organic gardens, solar water heating, water recycling and biogas systems and attention to good nutrition.
We invite you to join in an intimate evening with this Roman Catholic nun who has started an interfaith community. Maher is an interfaith and caste-free Indian NGO. Learn about this remarkable work.
This event is co-sponsored by Maher Communities: Northwest Friends and The Well. It is free and open to the public.